Monday, June 20, 2011

SweetSpot Roundup 6/20


Austin’s Astros 290 Blog: Problems Abound, Plenty of Blame to Share
Oh, you mean besides Drayton McLane and Ed Wade? That’s cool, too.

Baseballin’ on a Budget (A’s): Howard Bryant: Nowhere Men
“For all the parties to say ‘there are no options’ is bull-bleep.” Yep.

Ghostrunner on First (Blue Jays): Adam Lind Is Moderately Unstoppable
What can I say? I’m a sucker for titles with weird disclaimers.

Capitol Avenue Club (Braves): The Importance of Pitching Depth
“Obviously you don’t always have to plan on having a starter as good as Randall Delgado as the 8th option, but Frank Wren knows what he’s doing when he refuses to trade away pitching depth. Eventually, surpluses turn into deficits and the depth is needed.”

Disciples of Uecker (Brewers): Rickie Weeks Appreciation Day
I knew Rickie Weeks was doing great and would be my choice for the All-Star start, but I didn’t realize just how good he’s been, which is really, really good.


Fungoes (Cardinals): Tyler Greene Likes to Steal
No, not like Mike Leake likes to steal.

“Perhaps someday we'll find, as I considered a year ago, that he isn't the best man for the job, but there's no way you can base that decision on what's happened in 2011.”

The ideas here aren’t “creative”, per se, but they’re pretty darn accurate.

Pro Ball NW (Mariners): Ackley’s Debut
I really, really like Ackley. Like murder-the-man-in-my-fantasy-keeper-league-who-has-him like Ackley.

“Personally, I don’t think a manager change instantly reflects the ongoing performance of a team. Sure, the guys might feel a bit better for the time being, but is this really going to be a drastic change and affect the Marlins win-loss record immediately? I don’t think so”.

Mets Today: The Animal Is Free
Damn, it wasn’t another one from the zoo.

Nationals Baseball: The Future Is … Almost Now?
I like a lot of what the Nationals have done, and I can see why they did everything else. They have something good going, and I don’t think they should let the mirage of Jason Marquis make them think they’re that good now.

Camden Depot (O’s): Science of Baseball
Let’s all say this together “electromuscular stimulation”.

Ducksnorts (Padres): All Over Everything and Stuff
That’s what she said?

Crashburn Alley (Phillies): Cole Hamels: All-Star Starter?
I’d probably still say Roy Halladay, but Hamels does have a good case.

Baseball Time in Arlington (Rangers): The Internal Conflict
Yeah, the Rangers aren’t off to their best start, but if you’re going to have a bad start, there aren’t too many better divisions to do it in than the AL West.

A pretty interesting case for more instant replay.

Fire Brand of the AL (Red Sox): Buchholz Hits the DL
And another one bites the dust …

“When do the Reds look at Cozart and determine that he can give the club more than what they are currently getting?” Yeah, I’ve seen the kid play a few times, and I’m befuddled as to why he’s not in the majors.

Interesting look at In-Play Percentage (IP%) as a way to look at making contact and how it moves runners.

“Last year he [Austin Jackson] had just a .345 on-base and his year he’s hitting .252 with an on base of .315, which is optimal if your name is Francisco Cervelli.” Just FYI, that was an insult.

Nick’s Twins Blog: The Return of Mauer
People are actually mad at Mauer? There are angry people in Minnesota?

It Is About the Money, Stupid (Yankees): Could Kazmir Become a Yankee?
The schadenfreude part in me says, “Oh please, this might get better than the Posada thing.” The other part of me says, “Oh please, I’d love to see how this shakes out.” Wait, those seem like the same side …

No comments: